In the summer of 2000, I took part in a brief retreat for doctoral students and presented some of my experiments on transfecting neurons with connexins coupled to fluorescent proteins. I showed this slide and caught myself saying: “I need to do more if these images to quantify the protein clusters”. I never did since so many other, more urgent things seemed to get in the way of pursuing the long-term goal of doing the missing experiments to put this together as a paper. The project went nowhere and I didn’t even include this in my thesis. All that’s left is this confocal image as a reminder that we often get distracted from carrying projects through.